This web site provides a one-stop location for information about orchids, orchid events, and nice places to see orchids. It also provides a little of a travel log: orchids you might have seen if you were there. It is intended to be informational and relaxing. A bulletin board for orchid events to happen in the region in the near future and a peek at the ones in recent past.
The region covered is “Rocky Mountains” – the States (in alphabetical order) of Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming. Occasionally an excursion is made to a neighboring State (Nebraska, Kansas). Within these States groups of orchid enthusiasts meet regularly to talk about and admire orchids. Usually tropical, cultivated orchids. Our region is rich in native orchids and it is nice to go see them in their native habitat. There are pictures here of what can be seen. Spring and early summer are the best times.
The following groups meet and discuss orchids frequently, you are encouraged to visit them, virtually and in real life. Each group encourages guests to attend their activities:
- The Denver Orchid Society, meets every 2nd Tuesday of the month, except for July and August. They have a great website that explains their activities and how to join them.
- The Colorado Springs Orchid Society meets every 4th Saturday of the month. The society is a little smaller than the Denver society, but very active with interesting programs. Please visit their website to learn more.
- The Hi-Country Orchid Club meets at the home of one of its members (usually in Northern Colorado) on the 3rd Sunday of the month. The club does not have a web site, but a Facebook page.
- The Orchid Society of Northern Colorado meets in Greeley every 1st Friday evening of the month at 7 PM, at the Greeley senior center.
In Montana these groups meet regularly and you can find specific information on their web sites:
- The Sacajawea Orchid Society in Bozeman meets every last Tuesday of the month. (Warning: on their website they claim that they have “orchid growers gone wild”!)
- The Great Divide Orchid Society in Helena meets on the 1st Monday of the month. The meeting program is listed on their website.
New Mexico has an enthusiastic group of orchid enthusiasts:
- The New Mexico Orchid Guild meets on the 2nd Sunday of the month. Dates, the location of the meetings and the programs are listed on their website.
Last, in the alphabet anyway, is coverage on orchid events in the State of Utah:
- The Utah Orchid Society in Salt Lake City meets on the 2nd Monday of the month. They have an active speaker program that has something of interest for everyone. Check their website for the specific details.
If you know of an orchid group in the region that is not listed here and you would like to see it listed, please send me e-mail. Please include contact information.